What You Have Learned: Advice for Almost Grownups


My morning devotions during the Bible Bee Season!

A raindrop smacks against the windowpane, followed by another. And another. Oh, make that a dozen more. The sky seems layered with dark clouds, each one grumbling about their own personal problem. "My poof aches." "Can you believe how warm it's getting down there?" "Argh, the sun is right above me!" One by one they send their fury down in a cacophony of wet droplets that dampen the ground and melt the snow.

Happy Friday, y'all! Has anyone else noticed my affection for word pictures? In case you haven't guessed, yes, it is raining at my house today, and I'm so glad that I get to curl up at the dining room table with a stack of notebooks and some new pens. 

Spring is coming! I can hardly wait. It signals the end of the school year, the start of summer, and the beginning of the Bible Bee season! For me it's also an end of sorts. This summer is my last summer before I graduate from high school. I will also be turning eighteen, which means this is my last summer that I am an official kid.

And I am so not ready to be an adult.

Growing up is hard, and it's scary too. In the past few years I've spent nights curled up in my room wishing I could stay there forever; wishing I could shrink back down to nine-year-old size and be a little girl again; wishing that I could somehow not have to worry about school and boys and money and everything else an almost-adult has to worry about. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to get up and be the responsible person I'm made to be. 

But I have to, because to do otherwise would mean I'm not fulfilling my calling.

People are made to grow. It's part of life that we get taller, study more things, and learn harder lessons. It's normal to be nervous about growing up, but I have to remind myself of the peace found only in Christ. He has called me to something bigger than imagination, and I can't follow without being changed.

For those of you who are worried about what your future adult lives hold, take these verses to heart.

First, consider 2 Timothy 3:14-15: "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." I have found so much encouragement in the books of 1 and 2 Timothy, probably because they are written to a young minister of the early church. Paul, the Christ-hater turned epic gospel preacher, wrote both letters to Timothy to instruct him in his position. He tells Timothy, and us, not to forget the gospel that we have heard from the beginning. Even if you have not always grown up in the church it is so important that you remember what you have learned: the truth of the gospel of Jesus.

As Christians it is often hard to remember the untarnished gospel free of different theological arguments and debates. It's so simple: we sinned, Jesus died for us, and all we must do is receive the gift of eternal life in Him.

Second, let's look at 2 Timothy 2:15. It says, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman who needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." I've used ESV for years but this is one of the few verses memorized that's stuck in my noggin in KJV, and I personally like it more. The phrase "rightly dividing the word of truth" sticks out to me the most. If you look at the Greek, "dividing" is defined as "to make a straight cut." Thus, we are to study and interpret God's Word correctly. 

You are never old enough to stop studying the Bible. If you start now, it will become a lifelong habit carried on throughout your adult life. 

Lastly, let me bring 1 Timothy 4:12 to your attention. "Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." This verse has spoken to me over the past few months as I've sought to become more of a leader than a follower. It's often saddening to me that there are so few young leaders in the church, and other areas of life, from my generation. We have such potential and so much of it is wasted. Yet God's Word tells us, "Let no one despise you for your youth."

Follow the Lord's leading. If He is calling you to lead in your generation, step up. It may be lonely, but it will be worth it. Step up today.

That's my little note for you! If there are any verses that have been encouraging you lately drop them in the comments. I'd love to read them!

Tally ho!

Rachael Anne

Comments

  1. (I promise I haven't stalked you. xD)

    I'm in the same place as you, so this was very encouraging, Rachael! One verse that I've been clinging to as transition is coming quickly is Philippians 4:13.

    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

    I know that it's a quote-on-quote "cliche" verse, but there's still truth. In everything that we go through, we must rely on the Lord because He is perfect. We don't know what the future holds or how to move forward, but God does because He has perfectly planned out our lives. We never have to worry because God is always near to give us the strength to press on. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Romance's Rest Launch!

A Chilly Breeze and Puppy Days

Untold Character Interview!