The Lie of Perfection

 Written March 2021

We’ve all felt the push of perfection. Maybe at school you’re pressured to wear the right clothes, say the right things, or have the right friends. Maybe at work you’re told to never make a mistake because no one will trust you with that task again. Maybe your family tells you to bring them honor and make sure no one sees the arguments or fights.

And maybe, just maybe, you feel trapped under the weight; the burden of perfection.


Isn’t it that way even when someone simply asks us how we are? “How are you?” is a loaded question, one that most people choose to respond to with “I’m fine.” We don’t want people prying into our lives because we’re scared of what they might say or how they might think of us. We’re scared that their opinion of us might drop and the fear of being judged cripples us before we can even say a word.


Is this you? It’s okay to admit it. 


You’re not alone, friend. I know I have this fear of imperfection too. Every time I walk into work or church the pressure to be normal, to be alright, might come jumping out of nowhere and onto my shoulders. That’s when I start choosing my words with care because I don’t want people to know who I really am: broken. Lost.


Just another nobody. 


So how do we break free from this web of deception? How do we live freely each day without the fear of falling short dogging our every step? How can we become a people after God’s own heart? 

We seek His will and study His Word to us. Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages of sin is death...” He comes right out and tells us the truth! We aren’t okay; we’re not alright. We’ve been condemned to death because of the sin we have committed against a holy and perfect God. Are you able to pay the debt of sin weighed against you? No one is; that’s why only death can settle the payment for our crimes. 

But you have to read the rest of the verse: “...but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Let those words settle into your heart. Instead of killing off all of humanity and taking His rightful compensation God let His only Son come to this world to die for the sins of all. Only a perfect sacrifice would do. Only a perfect Man could pay for every sin, and by His wounds that is just what happened. Jesus crushed sin and death beneath His feet and rose three days later to prove His victory. 

This world is still broken. It’s not “alright,” as we like to say. But because of the blood of Jesus I can wake up each morning with a smile on my face and truly say that I’m doing good. 

And if you’ve accepted Christ’s gift, so can you.


Tally ho!

Rachael Anne

Dear Mr. Perfection,

I am sure by this time

You have realized I’m easy

To ply with your lies.


There’s allure in your words,

In your hark, in your song.

And quite soon, before long,

I can’t tell right from wrong.


A bad grade in class,

I can’t get up on time.

Why, I’m not even sure 

How I made this thing rhyme!

But I’ll tell you a secret: 

I think you should know

That it’s probably best

If you pack up and go.


There’s One who died for me,

Took my sins all away,

So I can rise up 

And give thanks every day.


I don’t have to be perfect,

Nor each time must be right

‘Cause I’ve learned that it’s not

Worth the great losing fight.


So instead of perfection 

I’ll instead reach for Christ

And the day when my burdens

Will all be made so light.


Sincerely,

A Slave No More

Comments

  1. We’ll said. Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Romance's Rest Launch!

A Chilly Breeze and Puppy Days

Untold Character Interview!